Click here for the story about this street food favorite.
- 5 each slightly overripe medium bananas about 1 lb peeled
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cup peanut oil (or vegetable oil) for deep frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar adjust amount to taste
- Combine all dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder and sugar) in a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to properly mix the dry ingredients.
- Using the back of the fork, mash the bananas and add to the flour mixture. Mix with a spoon and add water to loosen the consistency.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium to medium high heat. Using a tablespoon, gently drop batter into oil. Fry until golden brown, drain, and serve immediately.
Use a portion scoop to drop the batter into the hot oil for easier dispensing, and more even portioning. I use portion scoop #30, which has a 1-7/8” scoop diameter.